PBS Course Information
Student & Parent Safety Rules
- STUDENTS MAY NOT WORK IN THE LABORATORY WITHOUT A SCIENCE INSTRUCTOR PRESENT.
- Only students registered for the class are allowed in the laboratory.
- No backpacks or purses are allowed on the laboratory tables.
- Do not handle equipment and supplies set up in the laboratory until given instruction to do so from the instructor.
- Clothing and attire should provide protection from hazardous substances.
- Eye protection must be worn when required by the lab instructor.
- Personal protective equipment such as gloves and a laboratory apron should be used at the direction of the laboratory instructor.
- No eating or drinking is permitted in any science classroom unless a consumable is part of a laboratory procedure and the instructor gives permission to eat the consumable.
- Never place anything in the mouth while in the laboratory except as directed by the instructor.
- Smell chemicals only by wafting a small amount of vapor toward the nose with the hand.
- No unauthorized experimentation is allowed. Do not change written laboratory procedures without the permission of the instructor.
- Follow laboratory procedures carefully and accurately. Do not proceed with any experiment if you do not understand the procedure.
- All chemical names and identities should be carefully double-checked prior to use.
- Notify the instructor immediately if lab substances are spilled and once you know how, clean up spills promptly. If you have questions on spill clean-up, ask the instructor.
- Don NOT clean up broken glass. Notify Ms. Bliss so that proper safety procedures can be activated. Broken glass should never go in the trash.
- Proper disposal of laboratory waste is essential. Do not dispose of any chemical in the sink without approval from the instructor. Use appropriate waste containers when provided.
- Students should clean the work area and wash hands thoroughly before leaving the room.
- Students are to handle any/all animals involved in the educational experience with respect.
- Report all injuries or accidents, no matter how minor, to the instructor. The instructor will give guidance on the treatment needed and direct the student to the office, if needed.
- Technological devices are not permitted near water or food items unless instructions indicate otherwise.
Please use the PLTW login site to access all course materials. my.pltw.org
Texas Joint Admissions Medical Program PLTW College and University Partners - Find out which schools will accept PLTW for college credit!